How to Apply ESTROTECT™ Heat Detectors
1. KEEP HEAT DETECTORS WARM
ESTROTECT™ Heat Detectors should be warmed to 100ºF or 38ºC immediately prior to application to activate adhesive. ESTROTECT™ Heat Detectors should be soft and flexible at application for optimal adhesion.
- Small quantities (less than 5 heat detectors) may be warmed inside clothing. For large quantities, put the detectors in a small cooler with a hot water bottle or other heat source, as this is more effective and consistent.
2. CHOOSE SITE OF APPLICATION
- Ideal location for placement on the cow is halfway between the hip and tail head with ESTROTECT™ Heat Detector evenly spaced perpendicular to the spine. Note: Protect detectors from tail flicking by placing them near the top of the tail when fly counts are high.
3. BRUSH HAIR THOROUGHLY
- Vigorously brush with the grain of the coat across the backbone on the back half of the cow to remove dirt, dust and shedding hair.
- The ESTROTECT™ Rubber Brush is recommended, as it does not raise excess dust and oil. Do NOT brush hair with a steel bristle comb. Do not use stiff curry combs for brushing or cleaning.
4. CLEAN THE HAIR
- Clean the surface area with an ESTROTECT™ Cleaning Cloth to remove any remaining dirt, dust, sand or sawdust. A painter tack cloth may also be used as an alternative.
5. APPLY HEAT DETECTOR
- Place heat detector on the application site halfway between the hip and tail head. Press down firmly and rub into hair with bare fingers. Do not apply in rainy weather conditions.
6. CHECK FOR RESULTS
- As mounting activity occurs, the silver rub-off coating of the ESTROTECT™ Heat Detector will be removed, exposing its indicator color to signal true standing heat. Approximately 50% of the silver rub-off coating removed indicates standing heat.
When the ESTROTECT™ Heat Detector is activated by mounting activity, the indicator color appears very shiny and polished. The indicator color may be less prevalent in high stress environments, hot weather, high production or in crowded conditions as cows may be less inclined to mount.
DO NOT use ESTROTECT™ Heat Detectors with alcohol or oil-based pour-ons or sprays as they will damage the product. Doing so will void the warranty.